Welcome Forums General Disscussion ComixCentral Say Hello:)

22 replies, 17 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Doktor Geraldo Ged Durkin 2 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Profile photo of karengillmorekarengillmore
    Participant
    @karengillmore

My Achievements

Blogger IconCritic IconBeta Tester IconCXC Member IconFeatured Comic IconFounder Icon

Hi Everybody! I’m a long-time illustrator who finally found my true calling a few years ago at the ripe old age of… um, uh… never mind. Anyway, here’s what happened:

In December 2011, my friend Joan Steacy happened in to my studio during a studio tour and told me about a new program she and her husband Ken Steacy were putting together at Camosun College here in Victoria, BC. It was to be a full-time, one-year certificate program, with both art and writing courses, and sounded really exciting, but I thought that was a bit of a radical departure to be embarking upon at my age (again, never mind). However, Ken was also doing an evening continuing-ed class, a much smaller commitment of time and money, and I thought it would be fun and maybe give me some new angles on illustration, as I felt my storytelling could use a boost. Little did I know that I was about to finally discover what I wanted to do when I grew up!

I finished the evening course, signed up (falling all over myself in haste) for the year-long, full-time program, and after graduating from that, took a year’s mentorship with the Steacys. And now I’m a cartoonist, with six books self-published — I’ve never worked so hard and had so much fun doing it in my life!

I teach art classes, including comics, at a local rec centre, though I’m taking a hiatus this year to really focus on my comics. I have so many stories that I want to tell!

Oh yeah, and I have a webcomic: https://mermaidcomic.com

Profile photo of Lance Lucero Warehouse 9 ProductionsLance Lucero Warehouse 9 Productions
    Participant
    @warehouse9

My Achievements

Blogger IconCritic IconBeta Tester IconCXC Member IconSounding Board Member IconFeatured Comic IconFounder Icon

Howdy!

I’m Lance Lucero. I own and operate Warehouse 9 Productions, Ltd. It’s an aspiring media and literary outlet. I’m so glad to be a part of ComixCenteral! Finally, a place for true independents!

Profile photo of adamadam
    Participant
    @adam

My Achievements

Beta Tester IconCXC Member IconFeatured Comic Icon

Hi, Folks.

I’m Adam Volle out of Atlanta. By day, I’m a writer and editor. By night, I’m – well, I’m doing the exact same thing, but for much, much cooler projects like Warehouse 9’s BOB: NON-UNION PSYCHIC.

If you could use a proofreader, message me. I’m always horrified when I read an indie comic with a great concept and expressive art and find it marred by typos.

Happy creating,

A

Profile photo of Wil OvertonWil Overton
    Participant
    @kosmikat

My Achievements

CXC Member IconFeatured Comic Icon

Hi Folks,

I’m Wil and I’m from jolly ol’ England. I’m an old man now (well, 52 seems old to me) so I grew up as a Marvel kid in the ’70s enjoying all the comic goodness that era gave us. I worked as a magazine designer for ages and then in video games development. Now I’m experiencing the pains of struggling to get paid as a freelance illustrator. It’s fun. Everyone should try it.

Can’t say just why I didn’t try to make my own comic earlier. Drawing is all I used to do as a kid; normally, unsuccessfully, trying to ape a Steranko SHIELD or creating my own versions of Kirby’s Eternals. I did get around to it, though and ended up coming up with something that mixed in an all-ages comic with the games mags I used to work on and the video games I used to love. It’s still not quite where I want it to be but I’m getting better. I do love mixing the art with the design.

Anyways; happy to be here and see where all the talent and enthusiasm takes us.

Cheers!
    Wil

Francesca Urbinati
    Participant
    @designfurbina-it

My Achievements

CXC Member Icon

Welcome on ComixCentral, Will!
    Your story is quite interesting. I guess we switched age with esperience, but publishers and clients didn’t realize it yet.

Profile photo of Wil OvertonWil Overton
    Participant
    @kosmikat

My Achievements

CXC Member IconFeatured Comic Icon

Thanks Francesca,

I can’t complain that I haven’t had a varied and successful career so far. Do I wish I’d gotten into the comics industry like I wanted to when I was 13? Maybe but I was never really good enough (or thought I wasn’t) and it’s only now, much later in life, that I’m even getting close to getting down on paper (or screen) what’s in my head.

In fact, I have been offered some comic work in the UK so I’ll give that a go and see how it takes.

Wil

Francesca Urbinati
    Participant
    @designfurbina-it

My Achievements

CXC Member Icon

Well said, Will! I’m really happy to hear you got commissioned for comics. 🙂

Profile photo of Doktor GeraldoGed Durkin
    Participant
    @doktorgeraldo

My Achievements

Blogger IconCritic IconCXC Member IconFan IconFeatured Comic Icon

Hi, I’m Doktor Geraldo.
    I’m a new comic creator. I recently released my debut comic, Spec Ops Hobo – The Best. I’m working on the second part of Hobo, Desmerelda, and I’m also illustrating a comic written by an artist in an experimental collaboration.
    This site is absolutely great for people like me, and I’m thoroughly enjoying myself. I’m also in the process of networking and marketing, which is fun/daunting!
    Please feel free to follow me on Twitter @doktorgeraldo.
    Cheers!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.