Welcome Forums General Disscussion Creating Comics Let's talk tools (digital)!

7 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Profile photo of karengillmore karengillmore 1 week, 3 days ago
  • Profile photo of karengillmorekarengillmore
    Participant
    @karengillmore

My Achievements

Blogger IconCritic IconBeta Tester IconCXC Member IconFeatured Comic IconFounder Icon

Hey everybody, I’d like to know what kind of digital tools — hardware and software — people are using to create comics. Tablets, drawpads, styluses, computers-that-you-draw-on-the-screens, etc.; what do you think of the ones you are using, and what do you dream about having?

I’m using a fairly old Wacom tablet with my old iMac, and the combination is serviceable, but as I get more familiar with making art digitally there are some things that bug me, so I’m looking around to see what my next move might be.

I have a very specific question to get us started — if you had an iPad 3, and wanted a stylus to draw/paint with, what would you buy? I have been looking at the iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil, but that’s a lot of money to shell out when I have a perfectly good iPad already; I recently found out that there are pressure-sensitive styluses and wondering if I should just get one of those as kind of a starter thing.

Profile photo of Steven RosiaSteven Rosia
    @scronline

My Achievements

Critic IconBeta Tester IconCXC Member IconFan IconTHE BOARD IconSounding Board Member IconFeatured Comic IconModerator IconFounder IconAccount Verified Icon

I use a Wacom bamboo that is really old now. Mostly for little things, I don’t really draw digitally. I use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CS4.

I’ve more recently started doing my layouts digitally, so blue lines and borders. I also cleanup my line art and have done a little colouring, but I’m still far more comfortable with traditional mediums.

My work machine up until a week ago was an Alienware 17″ laptop. I’ve had that for 8 years but its barely useable now and I have just ordered a new machine to do my work. I have a Dell 2 in 1 coming that I’ll be able to draw on and run all my other programs so the Alienware and the Wacom tablet will get replaced. That arrives end of January so I’m out of luck until then.

I’d love to have either a Wacom 16″ Mobile Studio, or a Surface Book one day for the bulk of my digital jobs. We’ll see.

Profile photo of karengillmorekarengillmore
    Participant
    @karengillmore

My Achievements

Blogger IconCritic IconBeta Tester IconCXC Member IconFeatured Comic IconFounder Icon

I looked at the Mobile Studio — sweet! Thanks for clueing me in! I’ve been eyeing the various Cintiq models for a while, but didn’t feel like I could justify the expense yet, given my level of use. The Mobile Studio models, though even more tempting than the Ciniq, are alas even more $$ — makes the iPad/Apple pencil combo look like much less of an “ouch”!

Has anyone tried the Intuos Creative Stylus 2 with an iPad? I’ve seen both good reviews and “meh” reviews. Currently they seem to be out of stock:

Profile photo of Steven RosiaSteven Rosia
    @scronline

My Achievements

Critic IconBeta Tester IconCXC Member IconFan IconTHE BOARD IconSounding Board Member IconFeatured Comic IconModerator IconFounder IconAccount Verified Icon

The market opened up a few years ago and there are now quite a few tablet monitors available, many that are quite comparable to Wacom ones. For more information check out Ray Frenden’s site here (http://frenden.com/tagged/review) He’s a designer and a bit of an authority on the subject.

Personally I’m fond of the Monoprice tablet here (http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14481) which seems to currently be the best bang for your buck.

Participant
    @karengillmore

My Achievements

Thanks, Steven! Ray Frenden’s reviews are a gold mine — it will take me a while to work through those, I think. That Monoprice pen display looks pretty cool, and it’s certainly affordable.

Profile photo of Kenny GordonKenneth Gordon
    Participant
    @kennygordon

My Achievements

CXC Member IconStarter Icon

I was always hesitant in switching over to digital. Photoshop was always good to me, concerning digital colors, but actually drawing on that program, well… Let’s just say I find it difficult. I played around with Manga Studio 4, but it was Clip Studio Paint that convinced me to convert. At the time, it was cheap as hell, but Smith Micro tend to have sales and promotional deals frequently. Right now, it’s less than $50, so that makes the decision process easier. It’s made with the intention of making comics and illustrations, so I think it has a slight leg up on Photoshop. Essentially, it’s Manga Studio with a different name, same company ‘n all.

I had a Wacom Intous 4 until it died on me. Had it since 2007 and couldn’t afford a new one, but my good friend Dualmask had a Pen & Touch tablet he wasn’t using and decided to help a brother out.

When it comes to tools I dream about, it’s the latest Cintiqs. Always on my wishlist.

Profile photo of JasonPiperbergJasonPiperberg
    Participant
    @jasonpiperberg

My Achievements

CXC Member Icon

I’m with Kenny on this one. Clip Studio Paint is and has been my workhorse application for basically everything since 2015. It is, in my opinion, miles ahead of PS because it’s built to draw not edit photos. People do amazing work in PS and yes it’s always more about the artist over the tool but CSP (specifically the EX version for me) is the tool I do my best work with. I use brush sets from Ray Frenden, Daub, and Flyland Designs. and I follow a fairly traditional process. Layouts> Pencils/Letters> inks> Color/Lettering tweaks. It’s only issue is color management isn’t always dead on for CMYK but it has a preview mode that is close. I always double check my color profiles and final file specs in PS because that is something that PS is really good for.

I also have an Intuos 4 but I have a sheet of thin plastic over the drawing surface to protect wear on both the tablet and my stylus nibs (My favorite are the hard felt Nibs). I use a 15″ 2016 MacBook Pro which I have hooked up to a 26″ monitor.

Last but not least I have a pair of clear lense Glasses from Gunnar which help block damaging light from the screen. Perhaps my lowest tech thing is a thin glove that to prevent my hand from sticking on my tablet as I draw.

Participant
    @karengillmore

My Achievements

Thanks, Kenneth and Jason! I’m becoming increasingly convinced that I need to get friendly with Clip Studio Paint.I’m going to have to wait a bit for a hardware upgrade, it looks like, (and thanks for all the details — notes taken!) but in the meantime I think I need to watch my inbox for a Smith Micro sale!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.