Welcome Forums Community Creators Uncovered Jings! Crivvens! Help m'boab! It's Chaz Wood from Fenriswulf Comix!

64 replies, 6 voices Last updated by  Doktor Geraldo 2 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Doktor Geraldo
    @doktorgeraldo

My Achievements

Blogger IconCritic IconHoarder IconCXC Member IconFeatured Comic IconFounder Icon

Welcome!

Today we’re joined by Chaz Wood from Fenriswulf Comix. Chaz is from Dundee, the home of DC Thomson publishing, and the workplace of artist Dudley D Watkins, who gave us the legendary Oor Wullie and The Broons, as well as The Beano and The Dandy.

Chaz has published several comics, including: Spilled Blood, featuring The Uzbek; Malaria 9; and The Black Flag.

If you have any questions or comments for Chaz, fire away!

Riccardo Desini
    Participant
    @onesheeparmy

My Achievements

Critic IconCXC Member IconStarter Icon

Hello everyone!

I’m gonna drop the first question and leave it here: what/who are your influences?

ChazWood
    Participant
    @chazwood

My Achievements

Critic IconCXC Member IconFan Icon

Is anybody here…?

OK, here goes. Hi Riccardo! Sorry I missed your sessions last week – I thought it was Sunday 🙁

Anyway, influences. Writing: pretty much anything. Films, music, news stories, mythology, cosmic themes and cycles, folklore, classical art. Art: basically any artist whose style appeals to me! A few names: Bryan Talbot, John Ridgway, James O’barr, Hergé, Boris…I could go on.

ComixCentral
    Keymaster
    @comixcentral

My Achievements

Blogger IconCritic IconFan IconAccount Verified Icon

Hi everyone! Excited to pick Chaz’s brain!

Doktor Geraldo
    @doktorgeraldo

My Achievements

Blogger IconCritic IconHoarder IconCXC Member IconFeatured Comic IconFounder Icon

Hi Chaz, Riccardo! Alright lads?

Doktor Geraldo
    @doktorgeraldo

My Achievements

Hi CXC!

ChazWood
    Participant
    @chazwood

My Achievements

Evening, all. Well here we are…let’s do this 🙂

Doktor Geraldo
    @doktorgeraldo

My Achievements

Chaz! What’s the Russian connection with you? Or are you just a fan of the former USSR in general?

ChazWood
    Participant
    @chazwood

My Achievements

Russian connection? It came about in that story quite arbitrarily. The whole ‘Spilled Blood’ thing grew out of a single random drawing of a woman with a gun. I wanted to know her story, who she was pointing it at, and why. I figured she looked a bit Russian, and the story just grew arms and legs from there. I like developing ideas and stories where I get to learn something – do research – and expand my understanding as I go on. Hell, I can now read Cyrillic, albeit rather slowly…but yeah obviously as a kid growing up at the end of the Cold War, Russia was this big mystery. I guess it was a cool thing to peel off the layers of that and get down to the reality of the place, culture and people.

Doktor Geraldo
    @doktorgeraldo

My Achievements

Cool! You’ve done a good job with your research. I thought you might have had a Russian granny or something. Very authentic! And The Uzbek is a great character.

Doktor Geraldo
    @doktorgeraldo

My Achievements

I couldn’t resist the Oor Wullie/The Broons intro jargon!

ChazWood
    Participant
    @chazwood

My Achievements

Thanks Dok. I’m glad it comes across that way. No, I just try to absorb as many nuances and things as I can to lend an authentic flavour.  I don’t think some of my early translations are 100% spot on – but this series really is a work in progress…

ComixCentral
    Keymaster
    @comixcentral

My Achievements

Blogger IconCritic IconFan IconAccount Verified Icon

Hi Chaz! So how long have you been making comics? And what your goals in comics in general?

Doktor Geraldo
    @doktorgeraldo

My Achievements

I did a couple of pages of Spec Ops Hobo in Spanish with no translation for the hell of it. It’s explained later on in the series….

ChazWood
    Participant
    @chazwood

My Achievements

And glad you liked the Uzbek. He reflects my attitude against the Western comix stereotyped hero figure. I wanted somebody from somewhere obscure, somebody ethnic, and who looked the part, too. (And spot on with the Broons/Wullie bits!) 🙂

magicianshouse
    Participant
    @magicianshouse

My Achievements

Starter Icon

Does the art come easy?  Do you consider yourself more of a storyteller or an artist?

Doktor Geraldo
    @doktorgeraldo

My Achievements

Hi Stefani!

ChazWood
    Participant
    @chazwood

My Achievements

How long? Well I used to draw a stick-man thing called the Mystery Comic when I was a young kid at school, aged 9, 10 – a 3-4 page thing with various spooky and funny stories. My dad would photocopy them and I’d pass them out to friends. They were very popular, and represent my greatest success to date with comix…

In terms of serious comix work, that started in 2000 when I began my first graphic novel. ‘The Black Flag’. That took 5 years to finish and I was basically blagging the whole creation process as I went along.

Goals? To get a bit more recognition. Some sales too would be nice 🙂 But basically to become a better and more professional creator, artist, writer.

ChazWood
    Participant
    @chazwood

My Achievements

Hi Stef!

Art only comes easy insofar as it’s what I spend so much time doing. Some things I still find difficult, like architecture and technology. Humans and animals I love, so they kind of come naturally to me. In terms of visualising, usually the story/concepts come before the art. Or a drawing will kick off a whole idea, which will develop into scenes and a wider, more detailed background, which will then inspire more art. I have a very cinematic mind but it’s not always easy to get the widescreen epic vision in my head on to paper.

As far as creating comix goes, I’d say it’s 75/25 in favour of the writing when developing things. I write down dialogues, whole scenes between characters. I make very few storyboards or roughs, really.

ChazWood
    Participant
    @chazwood

My Achievements

So yeah, I consider myself a storyteller primarily. Even my one-off drawings and characterizations have a tale behind them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.